Senior Technical Writer
Synergy America, Inc
We are looking Senior Technical Writer Contract Role in Lawrenceville, GA. The Senior Technical Writer’s role is to develop written information about the organization’s computing systems that aid in their development, use, and support. Outputs include a range of documents to be read by both technical and non-technical personnel across all departments.
Skills for Senior Technical Writer:
Formal Education & Certification
• University degree in the field of English, Communications, or Journalism. A background in technology is desirable.
Knowledge & Experience
• 5 years equivalent work experience.
• Hands-on technical writing and editing experience, with specific experience in documenting information technology software and systems.
• Knowledge of information gathering, planning, and organizing methods and principles.
• Experience with desktop publishing tools, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
• Strong understanding of document formatting and presentation techniques.
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
• Superior attention to detail.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and interviewing skills.
• Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
• Ability to absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information.
• Ability to analyze target audience and to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Exceptional customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Excellent writing and grammatical skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to present complex data in clear, concise text.
• Ability to meet deadlines and to work independently.
• Ability to edit and proofread work of colleagues.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
• Sitting for extended periods of time.
• Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse.
Responsibilities for Senior Technical Writer:
Strategy & Planning
• Liaise with department heads and end users to define and identify business procedures and establish documentation needs for hardware and software.
• Analyze IT project requirements to determine types of documents needed.
• Collaborate with systems and development staff to collect and interpret technical information.
• Liaise with printers and graphic artists to plan layout, graphical elements, and formatting of documents. Ensure final documents are usable and of high quality.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Research, evaluate, and recommend new documentation tools and methods in support of documentation improvement efforts.
• Develop documentation project plans and timelines.
• Plan, design, research, write, and edit a range of documents, including user guides and manuals, technical specifications, training materials, user policies, and proposals, for both print and online media.
• Edit written documentation of development and other IT staff to create unified and consistent support documents.
• Establish, communicate, and maintain documentation standards, and provide training where required.
• Maintain currency and accuracy of all documentation.
• Writes and edits technical documents including reference manuals and product manuals.
• Writes and edits procedural documentation such as user guides and manuals.
• Determines the type of publication that will best serve the project requirements.
• Meets with engineers, programmers, and project managers to learn about specific products or processes.
• Researches product samples to fully understand product.
• Assesses the audience needs for whom the technical and procedural documentation is intended; adjusts tone and technical terms used to meet those needs and to ensure understanding.
• Plans writing processes and sets timelines and deadlines.
• Creates or works with graphic designers to create diagrams, charts, and other visual aids to assist readers in understanding a product or process.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.