Cool Tools for Technical Writers

Knowledge Development Centers
7000 Central Parkway, Suite 1250
Atlanta, GA 30328
 Cost:
Members are free
Non-members $10

Jeff Haas will present Cool Tools for Technical Writers. Once you’ve convinced an employer that you know how to write, can play well with others, and are curious about technology, you need to demonstrate your mastery of the authoring tools they require on the job. But which authoring tools should you master? Jeff Haas, past president of STC Atlanta, will discuss the tools that are currently in demand and the ones that are likely to be in demand in the very near future.

Jeff Haas is a Lead Technical Writer with ADP and an Associate Fellow with STC. As a full-time and contract technical writer in the Atlanta area since 1985, Jeff has mastered a wide variety of authoring  tools and is uniquely poised to share his perspective on where the technical communication profession has been and where it’s likely to go next.

Photo credit: KeystoneIT

14 Comments

1. Kim Shupenia August 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Sounds great – I hope to hear about FrameMaker’s latest version (and any caveats – it’ll have to be rock-solid before I recommend it, and I understand it’s been completely revamped since I used version 6.)

Also looking forward to learning about the latest web authoring tools (Microsoft Expression has been a real bust for me – frequently “breaks” spontaneously – but I don’t want to get into programming just to put up a new web site. Is Dreamweaver still a nightmare?)

I have access to Acrobat’s latest but don’t know if there’s anything I need – would love to hear more.

2. Jeff Haas September 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Thanks, Kim. I’m looking forward to presenting. I’m currently using FM9, and FM10 is available, but my overriding point will be that unless your authoring tools are helping you make the transition to database-driven content you may need to change your authoring tools. I used Dreamweaver to create a help system from scratch for one project, but it’s not a tool I’d recommend for everyday technical writing unless your primary job is website development. Hope to see you there!

3. Kakoli Bose October 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Hi Jeff

I am very interested in this meeting, but will be out of town around that time. Will your presentation/slides be available for viewing for people who cannot attend?

Thanks.
    Kakoli Bose (technical writer)

• Jeff Haas October 24, 2011 at 5:26 AM

If possible, I’ll plan to post the slides on the STC Atlanta website after the talk. If that doesn’t work out, just email me at [email protected] and I’ll send them to you. I’m also planning to deliver the same talk to the Eastern Iowa STC chapter by webinar on January 10. And if that’s not enough, I’m scheduled to deliver a one-day class called “Authoring Tools for Techncial Writers” at Emory Continuing Education’s Alpharetta location on December 5. Here’s the info:

After that, I’m planning to take a nap. 😉

• John Douglass October 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Jeff, posting your slides is totally possible! Mail them to [email protected] and they’ll appear as a hyperlink within this thread shortly after your presentation, which I am so looking forward to!

• Jeff Haas November 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Thanks, John. Will do.

4. Todd Scott November 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Jeff and/or Jen,

I’m currently looking to change careers and am looking at technical writing. I am planning to attend Jeff’s presentation on the 17th to get an more of an idea of the profession and to meet some working technical writers. I don’t see a link to buy a ticket on the website; will I be able to pay at the door? Is there anything else I should know or consider before showing up? Looking forward to an informative evening.

Thanks,
    Todd Scott

• John Douglass November 17, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Non-members pay $10 at the door. See ya there!

5. Dirk Bender November 18, 2011 at 10:22 AM

As someone who’s both a) playing catch-up on these authoring tools and b) hasn’t been to a Chapter event in too-many-months, I wanted to thank Jeff for his presentation last night. Well worth the time/effort to attend!

• Jeff Haas November 19, 2011 at 11:49 AM